Marshall moved to Allentown in 1958 to manufacture ladies’ handbags, and was active in the Jewish community ever since. Citing his parents’ involvement as an inspiration, Marshall served on the JDS board and was elected president for several years. He belonged to Temple Beth El, where he was the president of the cemetery organization for 25 years. At the time when they decided to build a new synagogue, preliminary funds were necessary. He was able to get excellent funding for the entire project. He volunteered because he believed in the importance of keeping the Jewish community alive and helping younger generations stay in touch with their Jewish roots.